Monday, April 18, 2011

Iridescent ~ Linkin Park



This is a song that I associate with The Hunger Games because it was included in a fan-made video of a scene with Katniss and Rue in the first book (READ IT). Literally made me cry the whole way through, and you know how I feel about using the word literally liberally.

The song opens with some ominous minor-key sounds which give way to slow piano chords, played in a quiet and delicate manner, mirroring the 'gentle' tone of Mike's voice. This is unlike them! When I first heard this song, I didn't actually know it was Linkin Park, as I'd never expected them to turn this...classically emo, with not a hint of a rap in sight, just pure unadulterated angst:
When you were standing in the wake of devastation
when you were waiting on the edge of the unknown
with the cataclysm raining down, insides crying save me now
you were there and possibly alone.

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
you build up hope, but failure's all you've known
remember all the sadness and frustration
and let it go, let it go.

And in the burst of light that blinded every angel
as if the sky had blown the heavens into stars
you felt the gravity of temper grace falling into empty space
no one there to catch you in their arms

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
you build up hope, but failure's all you've known
remember all the sadness and frustration
and let it go, let it go.

In terms of lyrics, it's a very satisfying song to listen to, as there are hints of hope amidst the bleak words. However, I'll forever more associate this song with the Hunger Games so for me, it'll always be more depressing than anything else. That, and it was also one of the songs I listened to during my lonely exile to Cripps, heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment